|
||

Track and field shines at Vanderbilt Invitational - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Track And Field

Track and field shines at Vanderbilt Invitational

Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:55 pm | Updated: 12:56 am, Mon Apr 22, 2013.

Over the weekend, the Vanderbilt Women’s Track and Field team hosted a two-day invitational meet. The meet marked the only home meet of the season for the Commodores.

On Friday, Vanderbilt began the first day of the meet with some strong individual performances. Freshman Sara Barron won the 1,500-meter. Barron bested teammates Grace Orders and Kristen Findley to achieve a time of 4:20.36. The finish was a personal best for Barron and marked the second-best finish in the event in the history of the program.

The Commodores were able to secure another victory in the 5,000-meter. The outcome of the race came down to multiple Vanderbilt runners once again with Jordan White and Allie Scalf battling for a first-place finish. White ended up prevailing with a time of 16:40.39, good for eighth-best in the Commodore record book.

The final Friday victory for Vanderbilt came in the steeplechase. Sophomore Amira Joseph pulled away with a finishing time of 10:43.30. The event had yet another second-place finish for the Commodores with sophomore Rebecca Chandler coming in with a time of 10:55.49.

Day two of the meet on Saturday yielded more success for Vanderbilt. Freshman Faith Washington earned a victory in the 400-meter hurdles. Washington finished with a time of 58.44 seconds, just beating out teammate freshman Jennifer Cannon, who came in second with a time of 58.60.

Vanderbilt had another solid showing in the high jump, with Commodores placing second and third. Junior Ellie Tidman placed second after clearing 1.76 meters and junior Brionne Williams clearing 1.76 meters as well to place third. For both Tidman and Williams, the jumps were just under personal bests.

The pole vault was another shining area for Vanderbilt on Saturday. Senior Morgan Toone placed second after a vault of 3.61 meters. Fellow senior Alyson Hasty earned fifth place after she also cleared 3.61 meters.

Next weekend, the Commodores will head to the Penn Relays in Philadelphia for a three-day meet. After the Penn Relays, the Commodores will travel to Clemson for a one-day meet to wrap up the regular season before the SEC Outdoor Championships and NCAAs.