|
||

Behind the stat: The tennis edition - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Tennis

Behind the stat: The tennis edition

Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:39 pm

The men’s tennis team is ranked No. 14 in the country and finding its form at the right time as the loaded Southeastern Conference heads into the final two weeks of competition. A few numbers to keep an eye on ahead of the Commodores’ final two matches of the season, both against Intercollegiate Tennis Association Top 25 opponents in Florida and South Carolina.

2 — Seasons in team history in which Vanderbilt has finished ranked in the ITA Top 25, accomplishing the feat in back-to-back years in 2003 and 2004. The Commodores rode national No. 1 singles player Bobby Reynolds to an SEC Tournament championship, an appearance in the NCAA championship match and a No. 4 final ranking in 2003, the team’s highest finish.

9 — SEC teams in the Top 25 as of April 2: No. 4 Georgia, No. 6 Tennessee, No. 7 Mississippi, No. 8 Kentucky, No. 12 Texas A&M, No. 13 Mississippi State, No. 14 Vanderbilt, No. 17 Florida and No. 20 South Carolina. The SEC has had eight or more teams finish in the Top 25 three times in the last 10 years.

7 — Three-set victories in SEC singles play for redshirt junior Ryan Lipman, who is 28-7 overall and 8-2 in conference play. Lipman is the No. 17 ranked collegiate singles player in the country.

16 — Consecutive victories in completed singles matches for freshman Kris Yee between Jan. 25 and March 24, the longest unbeaten streak of any Vanderbilt player this season. Yee, who has played primarily at the No. 5 singles position this season, defeated Kentucky’s Kevin Lai in straight sets on Saturday, 7-5, 6-4, to push his overall record to 23-5.

11 — NCAA tournament appearances for the men’s tennis team, looking to improve upon three consecutive first-round exits when Regionals begin on May 11.