Breaking down the enemy: Kentucky Wildcats - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Mens Basketball

Breaking down the enemy: Kentucky Wildcats

Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:06 pm

On Saturday, the Vanderbilt Commodores (19-8, 8-4 SEC) will travel up to Lexington, Ky. for a rematch against the top-ranked Kentucky Wildcats (27-1, 13-0 SEC). While Vanderbilt has experienced grueling tests this season, Saturday’s matchup promises to be the Commodores’ most challenging game of the year.

The University of Kentucky’s Rupp Arena is currently the most difficult road environment in college basketball. With a capacity of 23,500 seats, the air space to provide fireworks and a loyal contingent of shrieking fans, Rupp has devoured opponents this season. In fact, since the hiring of head coach John Calipari, the Wildcats are undefeated at home. If Vanderbilt is going to change this, the Commodores will need to play their best basketball.

If the last matchup between these two teams was any indication, basketball fans are in for a potential thriller this weekend. Earlier this month in Memorial Gymnasium, Vanderbilt rallied from a 13-point halftime deficit only to fall to the Wildcats 69-63. The Commodores outscored Kentucky in the second half, but had no answers for the Wildcats’ clutch play late in the game.

For Vanderbilt, some key adjustments will need to be made in order to win this game. The last time these teams met, Kentucky freshman point guard Marquis Teague tore the Commodores’ man-to-man defense to shreds in the first half. While Vanderbilt’s defense will have to pay close attention to freshman phenomenon Anthony Davis, sophomore sniper Doron Lamb and the do-it-all forward duo of freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and sophomore Terrence Jones, the Commodores will need to keep Teague and company out of the paint through a zone defense. If Vanderbilt can utilize its zone defense and close out on Kentucky’s shooters, the Commodores could slow the Wildcats down.

Offensively, the Commodores cannot be afraid of Davis. Although this task is easier said than done due to Davis’ outstanding shot blocking abilities, Vanderbilt will need to get to the basket. The Commodores have had success against Kentucky through the use of the pick-and-roll by senior forward Jeff Taylor and redshirt senior center Festus Ezeli. Vanderbilt has the potential to go on a tear with this setup, especially since it opens up space for shooters like junior John Jenkins and senior Brad Tinsley. The Commodores will also need plenty of help from their bench to combat versatile senior guard Darius Miller.

By and large, Saturday presents a tremendous opportunity of redemption for Vanderbilt. With one of his most talented and experienced teams, head coach Kevin Stallings will have his best chance to beat Kentucky on the road for years to come. If the Commodores can play to their full potential, Saturday could be the upset victory fans have yearned for all season.

• xiaochen xiaochen posted at 10:07 pm on Mon, Apr 2, 2012.

xiaochen Posts: 119

When people are talking regarding silk scarves, they're about to simply request recommendation from Franklin and Marshall silk scarves, for Franklin and Marshall is one in all French luxurious brands that are creating the very best quality silk scarves. From its birth date in 1937, Franklin and Marshall silk scarves have won several women’s favor. However, the silk scarves from inetsilk have gotten varied and much of widespread round the world in recent years. So now, i'd like better to produce the comparison between Franklin and Marshall silk scarves and inetsilk silk scarves therefore as that we've got a bent to tend to have gotten to higher opt for the suitable silk scarves for us, and much of necessary, i'd like better to indicate that Inetsilk silk scarves are usually nearly as regards to only regarding just about nearly as good as Franklin and Marshall silk scarves.

• Kevin Farley posted at 10:09 pm on Thu, Feb 23, 2012.

Bow to Da Brow Posts: 2

Kentucky may be looking to settle the score with Steve Tchiengang. That was a classless cheap shot he took at Marquis Teague. This Kentucky team is extremely close and I'm fairly certain they haven't forgotten Tchiengang hitting Teague in the back with his forearm and in the back of the head with his fist.

Vandy was supposedly "looking into this' but I never saw where anything was done about it. Did I miss something? Vandy will lose, Stallings will whine...nuff said.

• Greg Edwards posted at 2:51 pm on Thu, Feb 23, 2012.

Greg Edwards Posts: 1

Somehow I think anyone who follows Vanderbilt that calls Rupp Arena the toughest road environment in college basketball, is not giving their own team enough credit.

Vanderbilt wreaks havoc with everyone who comes in there. Including us.....

• David Allan posted at 12:39 am on Thu, Feb 23, 2012.

Dave NM Posts: 1

Not a chance !!!