Fuller wills Vanderbilt to 66-64 OT win over Xavier - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Mens Basketball

Fuller wills Vanderbilt to 66-64 OT win over Xavier

Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:53 pm

Kyle Fuller simply would not be denied on Thursday night.

The Vanderbilt junior scored a career-high 25 points, including 16 of his team’s final 17, as the Commodores came back from as many as 13 points down in the second half to defeat Xavier in an overtime thriller in Cincinnati, 66-64.

Kedren Johnson added 19 points on 8-of-16 shooting, and Vanderbilt improved to 3-4 on the young season with its first true road win, which happened to come over a team that entered Thursday with just one loss.

Xavier controlled the paint for the majority of the game, as starting forwards Travis Taylor, Isaiah Philmore and Justin Martin all finished in double digits, but Vanderbilt contributed five blocks and finished level in rebounds with the homestanding Musketeers.

A three-pointer by freshman Kevin Bright with just over 15 minutes to play started off a 10-run that keyed Vanderbilt's second-half rally. Then, after Xavier jumped out to an early 58-56 lead in the overtime period, Fuller hit a three from the corner, then banked in a tough layup and drew the foul to put Vanderbilt up 64-60 with 1:10 to play. Two desperation Xavier threes as time wound down were well off the mark.

Fuller scored all 12 of his team's overtime points in the win.