Season highlights: A year of firsts for Vanderbilt football - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Football

Season highlights: A year of firsts for Vanderbilt football

InsideVandy takes a look at some of the season's best moments, starting at week one.

• Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss: Aug. 29 (L)

• The opening game of the year was a sellout of 40,350, the first home opener sellout since 1996.
    • Austyn Carta-Samuels’s 300 passing yards were the most since Chris Nickson threw for 446 yards against Kentucky in 2006.
    • Jordan Matthews set a career high for receiving yardage (178 yards) and tied a career high for catches (10).
  • Vanderbilt vs. Austin Peay: Sept. 7 (W)

• Vanderbilt improved to 16-1 all-time against FCS opponents and 13-0-1 against Ohio Valley Conference teams.
    • Vanderbilt’s 38 first half points are the most in a first half since their 1999 game against the Citadel. 
  • Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina: Sept. 14 (L)

• Taylor Hudson’s 75-yard punt was the longest punt by a Commodore since Abtain Iranmanesh’s 80-yard punt against Georgia in 2003.
    • Steven Clarke returned his first career interception 69 yards, the longest return for a Commodore since Trey Wilson’s 100-yard return last year against Presbyterian.
    • Carey Spear’s 54-yard field goal set a career best and matched Johnny Clark’s 54-yarder against Auburn in 1987 for the third-longest kick in Vanderbilt history.
  • Vanderbilt vs. UMass: Sept. 21 (W)

• Jordan Matthews scored his 20th career touchdown.
  • Vanderbilt vs. UAB: Sept. 28 (W)

• Jerron Seymour’s first career two-touchdown game.
    • For the first time in school history the Commodores had a passer throw for over 300 yards (Austyn Carta-Samuels), a rusher over 100 yards (Jerron Seymour) and two receivers over 100 yards (Jordan Matthews and Jonathan Krause).
  • Vanderbilt vs. Mizzou: Oct. 5 (L)

• Matthews sets school record for touchdowns (22) and career receiving yards (2,990).
  • Vanderbilt vs. Georgia: Oct. 19 (W)

• First win against a Top 25 opponent since 2008.
    • First victory over Georgia in Nashville since 1991.
  • Vanderbilt vs. Texas A&M: Oct. 26 (L)

• Jordan Matthews becomes SEC’s all-time leader in career receiving yards (3,172).
  • Vanderbilt vs. Florida: Nov. 9 (W)

• First win in Gainesville since 1945.
    • First wins over UGA and Florida in the same season in Vanderbilt history.
  • Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky: Nov. 16 (W)

• Wesley Johnson started his 48th game, tying Chris Marve and Brian Stamper’s Vanderbilt record for career starts.
    • Jordan Matthews became the first Commodore to have two career 1,000-yard receiving seasons. He finished the game with 141 yards and a career-high 12 catches. 
  • Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee: Nov. 23 (W)

• Vanderbilt beat Tennessee for the two consecutive years for the first time since the 1925-26 seasons. It was also Vanderbilt’s first win at Tennessee since 2005.
    • Vanderbilt’s nine SEC wins over the last two seasons are the most since the 1934-35 seasons.
    • Jordan Matthews broke former Commodore Earl Bennett’s SEC record for career receptions with 237 catches.
    • Jordan Matthews set a new career-high with 13 receptions along with 133 yards, giving him seven 100-yard games this season and an SEC record 17 career 100-yard games.
    • The Commodores held Tennessee to 10 points, the fewest they’ve held the Vols to since 1968 and the fewest they’ve allowed in a victory over the Vols since 1959.
  • Vanderbilt vs. Wake Forest: Nov. 30 (W)

• The Commodores secured their second straight eight-win season for the first time since 1927-28.
    • Vanderbilt won their ninth straight game in November and improved to 15-4 in their last 19 games. Alabama is the only SEC team with a better record over that stretch at 17-2.
    • Jordan Matthews had eleven catches on the day, bringing him to 107 receptions on the year. That broke the SEC single-season record for receptions, and he became the first SEC receiver to have over 100 catches in a season. He also extended his streak to 33 games with at least one catch.
    • With 125 yards, Matthews extended his SEC record 18 career 100-yard games and broke his own school record with 1,334 receiving yards in a season—the fifth most yards in SEC history.

Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:51 pm

1 comment:

• Cliff Marin posted at 6:53 am on Tue, Jan 14, 2014.

Cliffmarin Posts: 1

Florida is one of the stronger team and this match i.e Vanderbilt vs Florida was very interesting to watch it.
    Salty Liquid