|
||

Brian Miller's proposal was months in the making - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Brian-miller-s-proposes-to-girlfriend-after-winning-national-championship

Brian Miller's proposal was months in the making

Proposal idea originated from a bet with Tyler Beede

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:27 am

Wednesday was a special day for every Vanderbilt player, but it was especially extraordinary for pitcher Brian Miller. Shortly after his Commodores became National Champions, he proposed to his girlfriend on the field.

But this wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment decision for the junior out of Franklin, Tenn.

“One, I’m in love with my girlfriend, so I knew I wanted to marry her,” Miller said.

The second reason for this timing has been in the works for a while now.

A day before the first game of the regular season against Long Beach State, Miller and fellow junior pitcher Tyler Beede were in batting practice when Beede came up with a bold bet: if the Commodores won the College World Series, Miller wouldn’t propose to his girlfriend.

“Brian and Megan have been in love since day one, so I kind of sensed that,” Beede said.

Miller shook on the bet, and neither player made much mention of it until the playoffs neared. Then Beede brought it up multiple times to Miller before the Commodores made it to Super Regionals, and Miller started shopping for rings.

Once he bought the ring and Vanderbilt reached the National Championship Series, Miller gave the ring to trainer Chris Ham for safekeeping.

“I just said ‘You keep this during the championship series, and if I need it, just give it to me,’” Miller said. “I didn’t want to think about it during the game. I just decided if we don’t win I won’t do it, but if we do, I’m definitely doing it.”

Once Adam Ravenelle struck out Daniel Pinero to end the game, Miller joined the dog pile and reveled in the victory with his teammates. But once everything settled down, Miller found Ham, put the ring in his back pocket, and made sure it would be right side up when he pulled it out so that everything would be perfect.

“So here we are, and she said 'yes,' so I’m very happy,” Miller said. “(Today was my) number one (day) for sure. Just amazing.”