|
||

Women's lacrosse jumps on Harvard early on way to 15-11 win - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Sports

Women's lacrosse jumps on Harvard early on way to 15-11 win

Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 6:19 pm

Vanderbilt women’s lacrosse pulled through Monday afternoon against Harvard to secure its second win of the season. The 15-11 win over the Crimson ended a 10-game losing streak for the Commodores, who just barely lost to Johns Hopkins last week in overtime.

Scoring opened early for the Commodores when freshman midfield Emma Dagres put one past the Harvard goalkeeper on a free position shot, giving Vanderbilt a one-goal lead under three minutes into the first half. However, Harvard won the draw and less than a minute later tied it up.

Vanderbilt responded with a bit of a scoring run, netting four unanswered goals in seven minutes, two of which were by senior attack Carly Linthicum, who finished regulation with five goals. Harvard was forced to take a timeout to regroup, but Vanderbilt junior attack Abby Wheeler scored off a free position shot three minutes later, putting the Commodores up 6-1 halfway through the first half.

The Crimson finally got on the board again with 12 minutes left in the half, but Vanderbilt responded just 40 seconds later with a shot from senior attack Olivia Goodman. The Commodores extended their lead to eight with two minutes to play in the first half. Harvard slipped in two goals in the final 30 seconds, making it 10-4 going into the intermission.

Harvard tried to make things interesting in the beginning of the half, getting two goals past senior goalkeeper Chelsea Pasfield and cutting Vanderbilt’s lead to just four. It wasn’t until 17 minutes into the period that the Commodores finally got their first goal of the half, netted by freshman midfield Amanda Lockwood on a free position shot.

Senior goalkeeper Chelsea Pasfield had 10 big saves on the day, holding the Crimson to just 11 goals. The Commodores’ last and only other win this season was in early February.

Head coach Cathy Swezey was very pleased with the outcome, mostly attributing it to the team’s organized attack and nine different goal-scorers from the game. “I’m really pleased with our attack," Swezey said. "In the last few games we’ve really begun to understand the importance of possession. We’ve had the ball for longer periods of time and we haven’t been wasting shots, just making better decisions in general, and I really think it was the difference in the game.”

The Commodores hope to carry this momentum into their final three games before heading to Baltimore for the ALC Tournament in May. Vanderbilt travels to Ohio State this Sunday, April 7, for their final league away game at 11 a.m. CT.