|
||

Dores cruise by UT-Martin - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Sports

Dores cruise by UT-Martin

Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:53 pm

The baseball team, now 30-4, picked up another midweek win on Tuesday. Their eleven hits helped them cruise by the UT-Martin Skyhawks for a 10-3 victory.

The Commodores got the offense rolling early when second baseman Tony Kemp smacked a single right up the middle. He promptly stole second and reached third on a base hit by first baseman Conrad Gregor. Kemp plated the first run of the game when center fielder Connor Harrell hit a sacrifice fly to right field.   

The Skyhawks responded in the top of the second. With one out, UT-Martin’s center fielder Brent Morris singled through the right side. Vanderbilt pitcher Tyler Ferguson threw two wild pitches, allowing Morris to advance to third. A base hit sent Morris home, tying the game at 1-1.

As the game progressed, it was clear that a few wild pitches would not prevent the home team from winning. A huge fourth inning put the Dores up by four. After shortstop Vince Conde popped up to the first baseman, Vanderbilt began taking advantage of mistakes made from the mound. In four consecutive at bats, left fielder Rhett Wiseman walked, designated hitter Kyle Smith was hit by a pitch, catcher Chris Harvey was hit by a pitch, and Kemp walked, pushing across a run. Two base hits scored the other three runs of the inning.

Kemp, who has had great success getting on base as of late, continued his hot streak. He went 2-2 with two RBI, three runs, one double, one stolen base, and two walks. Both Turner and Harrell contributed three RBI in the ten-run game.

Starter Tyler Ferguson (3-0) picked up the win. He allowed six hits and two runs over five innings. In his first relief outing of the season, T.J. Pecoraro looked incredibly sharp. He threw two perfect innings with two strikeouts. Adam Ravenelle and Keenan Kolinsky pitched an inning apiece to close out the game.

This weekend, the Dores will host Missouri for the first time in program history.