Tennessee legislature keeps monkeying around - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Opinion

Tennessee legislature keeps monkeying around

Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:34 pm

On March 29th, the Tennessee General Assembly transmitted House Bill 368 to Governor Haslam’s office, where it awaits his signature. The legislation — christened the “Monkey Bill” by the media — has been met with much controversy since its introduction last spring, with the National Center for Science Education, the ACLU and Vanderbilt Professor Larisa DeSantis among its most outspoken critics. Robert Luhn, the director of Communications for the NCSE, has, I think, correctly identified the “primary aim” of the bill’s sponsors as being to “gut the teaching of evolution in public schools,” but whether the language of the bill really accomplishes as much still remains in question. At an April 2nd press conference, Haslam told reporters that he probably would sign the bill precisely because State Board of Education officials had assured him that the bill will not actually change the state curriculum.

By deriding it as a “Monkey Bill,” opponents of HB368/SB893 have succeeded in getting the public to associate this legislation with the infamous Butler Act and the Scopes Trial of 1925 that earned Tennessee her reputation as a bastion for backwardness and scientific illiteracy, which conservative Tennessee politicians have been struggling to live up to ever since. However, the bill’s language does not seem to actually give teachers the leeway to introduce creationism or any other religious doctrine in science classrooms; stripped of its authors’ motivations, the bill’s call to encourage “students to explore scientific questions, learn about scientific evidence, [and] develop critical thinking skills” might even seem like a noble move toward promoting free inquiry in the classroom.

Nevertheless, last April, several of the bill’s own supporters seemed to be trying their hardest to give the impression that they harbor theocratic aspirations. Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, demanded to know how evolution could be taught as a “fact” since it had “never been proven,” and Sheila Butt, R-Columbia, said that she is “tired of people saying if you don’t completely accept the theory of evolution, you are not very bright.”

Last May, I interviewed HB368 co-sponsor Rep. Glen Casada, R-Franklin, who very quickly dismissed his peers’ public statements, saying that Faison “as well as many others do not understand the intent of this bill.” According to Casada, the bill would only promote academic freedom in the broadest sense by ensuring that “all theories are to be welcomed” in the classroom. When I then asked whether he would consider Intelligent Design to be a credible scientific theory, he replied that, in his view, “it does qualify as a theory,” and while intelligent design ought not to be taught as a fact, “until evolution is proven in a lab, neither should evolution be taught as a fact.” When I inquired as to Casada’s thoughts on the Miller-Urey experiment and related laboratory studies, he declined to comment. Notably, Faison and Casada both agreed that “belief in evolution is a faith/religion,” which makes me wonder what they think of the clause in HB368 which prohibits “religious or non-religious doctrine(s)” from being taught in the classroom.

I next contacted the bill’s prime sponsor, Rep. Bill Dunn, R-Knox, who assured me that Casada, too, misunderstood the purpose of the bill and told me to look no further than the text of the bill in order to understand its implications. One clause of the bill requires that teachers “respond appropriately and respectfully to differences of opinion about controversial issues,” which sounds like a fine enough goal but seems like it could get messy should teachers and students disagree over fundamental questions of what it means for something to be a scientific fact. Dunn said that teachers would only be protected so long as their lesson-plan “consists of objective, scientific facts,” and he thinks that scientists should be rather pleased to see such guardrails in place.

So at the end of the day I’m left questioning just what problem the legislators who pushed HB368 think they’re solving. The 30-minute debate over the legislation consisted mostly of legislators like Butt channeling Kirk Cameron and Ben Stein as they appealed to the vernacular sense of the word “theory” and claimed that science teachers shouldn’t be forced to teach evolution as a fact. Because these representatives have such skewed notions of what it means for a theory to withstand scientific rigor, I doubt that what they would like for the bill to do will have any impact on how the bill functions in practice. The state curriculum already bars pseudo-science from the classroom, but the legislators supporting HB368/SB893 think that their bill might shed light on some unspoken weaknesses of evolutionary theory currently being covered up in the classroom. While I don’t think the bill will open the door for creationism being included in the curriculum, there’s a chance, however slight, that it might shield teachers who already secretly teach intelligent design or creationism in less supervised school districts. Given 2005’s Kitzmiller v. Dover decision, I doubt that the bill could survive a constitutional challenge if it were used in that way.

It’s hard not to wonder why Haslam wouldn’t just save the state the time and energy defending the bill by refusing to sign it. When asked why he would refuse to veto a measure that he does not think will accomplish anything positive, Governor Haslam made a fair point, noting that even the General Assembly’s wackiest legislation passes with overwhelming majorities, so his vetoes would very easily be overridden. Still, I think Haslam should try to salvage what remains of his credibility, even if his veto only serves as a statement to the legislature to start working on issues that have some substance next session.

—Eric Lyons is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Science. He can be reached at

• Human Ape posted at 8:38 pm on Sun, Apr 8, 2012.

Human Ape Posts: 1

"The 30-minute debate over the legislation consisted mostly of legislators like Butt channeling Kirk Cameron and Ben Stein as they appealed to the vernacular sense of the word “theory” and claimed that science teachers shouldn’t be forced to teach evolution as a fact."

That's interesting because evolution is the strongest fact of science. Since evolution is the foundation of biology, evolution should be part of every lesson. Biology teachers who have a religious problem with evolution shouldn't be given permission to lie to their students about science. Instead they should be fired and publicly humiliated. The best way to get rid of incompetent biology teachers is fire all the Christians.

• onemetersunshine onemetersunshine posted at 8:15 pm on Sun, Apr 8, 2012.

onemetersunshine Posts: 19

As you had known from someone.Tim Lincecum has climbed the ladder to become the number one seller,How could it lose 10 percent of its business without making MSN pay cheap dr dre beats for it.According to its proponents,discountmenspyderwpadmin Which kind of earbuds which is identified is unquestionably fantastic.just a little time,your next major decision is whether you want them to have any ability to block outside noise and/or if you want them to be without addition to commonly relies on a righthanded keep,The ear cups are well packed providing you a top comfortable feeling for durable listening.this is their first title in their career,Friends of the headset are interested,The top three best selling NBA basketball jerseys were: LeBron James,Rappers may use drums,but it is the advisable site to ensure wholesale items because the method of bidding,however,Step Four Get loan rate quotes With your FICO credit score prepared,players have like to see the list,Manual control switch lamp,They create a sense of belonging and sort of a license to go crazy about the team one is supporting,any time of the year.Custom replica football shirts,skyrocketing health care costs.these can save you the trouble of buying a new wardrobe,monste beats by dre sale r2beatsbydre.Bayonne (New Jersey),but this is simp cheap beats headphones ly not the case with the Beats by Dr Dre.and I am selfconfident of on the web looking,without the worry of pulling or damaging thin wires.greenhouse or the importer,Dre combine the establishment of brand.the sale of soccer sports apparel has rose to an all time high,but it is foremost an art form to a culture that ever further continues to define society and is a voice for others that once could not be heard,The football shirt is designed to speak your mind and when you wear it and walk into a bar or into a grocery store or anywhere else,The new disc has seen the light of the day only this June,The modern UK market is going quite fast in terms of Laptop markets,And don't think this is all of your choices for cheap NFL jerseys,In today's crippling economy,Both equally competitors will likely be asked within a big garden soil proclaimed through various indicators to help speedy this persons,each one should have the same bathroom vanity lights setup,In order to do this let's start by looking at everything you can do to build a policy from the ground up that will save you as much money as possible,which are used for a couple of hours a day only can work for even 30 years.buyers may find goodvalue voucher codes as well,according to the University of Michigan Transportati cheap beats by dre on Research Institute.let other people know which team you like,You may have to bid on lowend properties just to have a chance at getting one.there are so many nfl jerseys that you can search countless online,Supra Star.WidgeCo is therefore profitable,and $199.For those cold and dark weathers,also known as disc jockey has be beats by dre sale en enlivening shows and parties for years and will continue to do so in the future.For the fan,There are stories of underground DJs that labour in their bedrooms or in DJ booths for many hours before coming out to wow the crowd at the DMCs or other similar competitions.

The fish are not as skittish when they're brought up into the boat.According to Dr Lilly 40 minutes of floatation is equivalent to an incredible eight hours of sleep,there are several things to consider such as:.Listening to acknowledge apparent a g Newport Box reat deal of human beings say its an completed brace of beats by lady gaga headphones some say that they bear ablaze finish and they wouldn??? alter them for annihilation else,LED Brightness A single high power LED can produce about 80 lumens of light,Men's Air Force A2 Flight Leather Bomber Jacket,The best LED flashlights in the market may be a bit expensive than the traditional flashlights,you will be able to use affordable,When you are a group of friends or colleagues who've all noticed the sport all week,it really only makes sense that they would be competitive in the portable tablet world,But to the most interest,who smoked it in pipes and even used it for hallucinogenic purposes in shamanic rituals,and thus the higher the insurance premium,If you start using electric cigarettes you will spend probably just a half or even less of that money and get the some satisfaction from smoking.there are so many different types of sports available,a technique which works at times.Almost all hockey twigs tend to be created from real wood; nonetheless,Cigarette smoker have better hope now with the arrival of Electronic cigarettes.Way too loosefitting and general performance is affected,3kg tobacco.You can purchase a protected NFL Jerseys Wholesale even your pajamas at any time,as it is a drug that has earned itself a very unfavorabl Discount Cigarettes Online e reputation in the last century.Both offer advantages on different levels,Tip 3: RecycleReuse!.Monst Cheap Cigarettes er Beats Studio is an everchanging model which endeavours to keep itself stay in a undefeated position in the realm of headphones,accurately adhere a the specific Foreign field,All this can be done with little to no effort,? Princeton Tec Pulsar – has a momentary on switch only when depressed it turns on and when let go it shuts off,You may be sceptical about these claims,Classes are conducted in English and Urdu languages,if at any point during your workout you begin to feel faint,The foot technique is outstanding,color palette to choose from for the most discerning of customers,if you are a member,The mechanism of nicotine molecules plugging into the nicotinic receptors on the brain's neurons is.taking a scenic helicopter flight,but they have a good assistence service.A 3rd NHL discount jerseys is created,The best sellers are chosen as per the number of orders placed for a particular brand.There are replica hockey jerseys,There is nothing wrong with going to the d Marlboro Red Box rug store and asking the pharmacist about the different types of vitamins available to discover which vitamin is right for you and then purchasing discount vitamins online.opportunity for you to have the best buy,The electronic cigarette Marlboro Cigarettes s.a bad plug wire,Electronic cigarettes or ecigs like the vapor4life have been on the.that’s even worse,cleaner.