|
||

Chris Boyd among three additional individuals indicted today in Vanderbilt sex crimes case - The Vanderbilt Hustler: Safety

Chris Boyd among three additional individuals indicted today in Vanderbilt sex crimes case

Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Three additional indictments were handed down today in connection with the alleged June 23 incident in a Vanderbilt dorm room. Chris Boyd, a standout receiver on the Commodore football team, was among the persons indicted, according to Metro police.

Boyd has been charged with one felony count of being an accessory after the fact, police stated, adding that he is “essentially accused of taking part in an attempted cover up of the sexual assault through his advice to certain defendants who were indicted last week.” Police expect Boyd to surrender, and his bond has been set at $25,000.

The other two individuals indicted today are acquaintances of Brandon Vandenburg from California, according to police. Miles Joseph Finley, 19, and Joseph Dominick Quinzio, 20, are each charged with one felony count of tampering with evidence. Police have said the two men are alleged to have tampered with electronic evidence connected to the case. Police also described the two men as being “of keen interest” to Metro detectives who travelled to California in July as part of the sex crimes investigation.

Finley has been taken into custody by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office in California, according to Metro police, while Quinzio remains at large. Metro police report that Finley “fled after seeing deputies outside his house,” but that he was soon arrested. Both Finley and Quinzio’s bonds have been set at $150,000.

“Today’s indictment reflects the hundreds of law enforcement hours that have gone into this case thus far, and the absolute seriousness of this entire matter,” Chief Steve Anderson said in a statement.  “I also reiterate that this investigation, as District Attorney General Torry Johnson said last week, remains open and active.  We are looking at all persons who may have been involved in this event, before, during and after the fact.  Additional charges cannot be ruled out.”

In a statement, Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Beth Fortune called all of the allegations connected to the case “deeply troubling” and said that the university is taking them “very seriously.”

The statement also says that, “pursuant to the athletic department conduct policy, Mr. Boyd has been suspended from the football team, pending further review.”

“We continue to respect that at this point in the criminal justice process no determination of guilt has been made,” the statement says. “We continue to cooperate closely with the District Attorney’s office and Metropolitan Nashville Police Department.”

Read more.