|
||

Vanderbilt student jumps from third story window, harasses other students - The Vanderbilt Hustler: News

Vanderbilt student jumps from third story window, harasses other students

Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:00 pm | Updated: 10:20 am, Wed Feb 13, 2013.

According to eyewitness accounts, a Vanderbilt first-year student was taken into custody Saturday night after jumping through a third story window in East House onto a balcony and harassing students on campus.

A resident of East House’s 3rd Floor said that the student in question ran up and down their hall, banging on doors and yelling for everyone to get out of their rooms. The student then yelled that he was going to jump through the window.

The student was reportedly yelling and bleeding as he chased another student around the Peabody Esplanade and Martha Rivers Ingram Commons. He allegedly pushed a female student before being confronted by two Commons Resident Advisors, who wished to remain anonymous.

One student described the student as being so bloody it looked like he was wearing a “red wrist-band” on his arm.

Multiple reports from students who were present on the scene confirm that the student was wearing only boxer shorts and socks.

Blood was seen on the East House window and in the surrounding area, including the entrance to Commons Center and at the Wyatt Center building, which is next door to East House.

The scene was cleared and the blood was cleaned. The Wyatt Center building and the front of the Commons Center were blocked off with police tape through Sunday.

The third floor balcony window of East House, including the metal cross bar, was shattered. Several students said that the student left flesh hanging from the window after jumping through it.

The student allegedly was taken into custody and carried away from the scene in an ambulance.

According to an official in the Office of Housing and Residential Education, the student who jumped from the window has been released and is “under the care of Vanderbilt ResEd.”

Assistant Director of the Commons Center Scott Rausch said that the Commons would not release a statement.

The Vanderbilt University Police Department was unable to comment pending further investigation.

Account from a female student who was chased:

"He was walking past Crawford from behind East and screaming names of random religious figures with an ample use of profanity. It appeared at first that he was just being silly, and no one paid attention. Someone passed and said, ‘are you okay (name)?’ when we noticed that he was covered with blood. He made eye contact with us and said, ‘hey you,’ then started chasing us. He ran in front of Stambaugh and then Commons Center people came out and police and an ambulance was called. All he was wearing was green plaid boxers and black socks."

Accounts of the student's encounter with an RA and police:

“He came outside the 2nd floor entrance to Memorial, where (an RA) was waiting when he got a call about it.  The kid came up to our RA and the RA told him to calm down, but he refused and yelled at the RA to calm down and he said he would ‘spit in his face.’ Then he ran off, cussing and screaming in boxers. He went down to the road dividing the Commons Center from the residential dorms, and started running after a police car that had just pulled up.  He seemed to be yelling more obscene things to the police car.  A loud noise was made and then he proceeded to the Commons Center, attempting to enter. Someone had locked the door so he couldn't get in. He went to the ledge separating the Commons Center and the grass and lied belly down on it and screamed more. Then he got up as police were surrounding him. They eventually caught him and got him into an ambulance, where he was still screaming.”

"I was in commons when someone came in and I heard her frantically ask for help because 'a kid is high as shit outside, bleeding everywhere and laying on the ground in his boxers. He's screaming and it's just really bad'. I went outside and the RAs and some other staff were getting everyone off the scene so he wouldn't endanger others. I went back inside Commons Center and (officials) were keeping everyone inside the building so they wouldn't inadvertently provoke the situation. The police were able to detain the student on the patio of the Commons Center, before he was able to enter the building. He never stopped screaming or ranting about how he was "sick of our Jesus shit" or "our Buddha shit". After they took care of the student, the police had to close off the patio of the commons, I assume to investigate more. It was definitely a rattling situation."

Stay tuned to InsideVandy.com for updates on this story. Lawrence Waller and Jenna Wengler contributed to this report.