|
||

NEWS: Dean, Clement to meet in runoff election - The Vanderbilt Hustler: News

NEWS: Dean, Clement to meet in runoff election

Posted: Friday, August 3, 2007 12:00 am

Karl Dean and Bob Clement will meet in a Sept. 11 runoff election in Nashville's mayoral race after finishing first and second, respectively, in Thursday's voting.

Over 100,000 Nashvillians cast votes in the race to replace Bill Purcell.

Dean, who ranked among the least familiar candidates about six months ago, has served as Metro law director for Nashville, and Clement is a former U.S. Representative.

Dean and Clement came out ahead of Vice Mayor Howard Gentry and Metro Counceilmen Buck Dozier and David Briley. None made clear which runoff candidate they would support.

Dean, an alumnus of the Vanderbilt Law School, garnered 24.08 percent of the votes, and Clement earned 23.53 percent. Gentry finished a very close third with 23.14 percent.

Councilwoman Diane Neighbors was elected vice mayor, with 58.39 percent of the votes. She is the first woman elected to the position.

Neighbors is also the director of Vanderbilt's child-care centers.

She defeated fellow Councilwoman Carolyn Baldwin Tucker by a narrow margin.

For full coverage of Nashville mayoral election from The Tennessean, click http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=elections07">here.