|
||

Alumni spotlight: bicycle entrepreneur Austin Bauman - The Vanderbilt Hustler: News

Alumni spotlight: bicycle entrepreneur Austin Bauman

Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:00 am

The Hustler caught up with alumnus Austin Bauman, owner of Green Fleet Hub, to hear about his career experience in the post-Vanderbilt world. 

Vanderbilt Hustler: What was your major at Vanderbilt and what year did you graduate?

Austin Bauman: I graduated in 2006 with a degree in Musical Arts from Blair. I play the piano.

VH: What is your current job? What’s a typical day like for you?

AB: I used to tell people, “I ride my bike for people who are stuck in offices.” That was before the bicycle courier service that I started turned into a bike shop and a tour company. Now it is a little bit of everything.

On the courier side, our office is totally unpredictable. Our dispatcher is juggling deliveries and our couriers are in and out of the shop all day long.

The bike tours are fun because you get to pretend you’re on vacation, and the bike shop is fun because you get to help people with their bikes or get them into biking.

I spend my day going back and forth between everyone to make sure that they have the right tools to do a good job.

VH: How did you get to your current position?

AB: It took me a while to find my niche. I got into bicycles after Vanderbilt when my roommate and I did a cross-country bike ride for charity. That experience got me hooked on bicycles and after two years of trying to get my feet on the ground selling real estate, I decided to follow my passion.

The decision was easy because the real estate market was very tough at the time.

VH: What is your favorite part of your job?

AB: I like trying to figure out the problems of a small business. No day is the same and there are a lot of opportunities for improvement. When things go right it feels really good, and even when things go bad, it’s fun to figure out how to make them better next time.

VH: Would you have seen yourself where you are now as a senior in college?

AB: I had no idea where I would end up when I was in college. I just wanted to be successful doing something meaningful.

VH: Did any particular part of your experience at Vanderbilt prepare you for your job now?

AB: When I decided to ride my bike cross-country, I met with Dean Wait at Blair and he gave me ideas and support and suggestions on other people to talk to. Vanderbilt is great because of this. You can find the encouragement and tools to explore any interest - even when it’s not related to your major.

VH: Do you have any advice for current Vanderbilt undergrads?

AB: I remember asking my first boss what he would invest in if he had $500. He pointed at me and said “the best investment is yourself.”