|
||

Spirit of Gold band president Matt Ciulla sounds off on move-in day - The Vanderbilt Hustler: College Culture

Spirit of Gold band president Matt Ciulla sounds off on move-in day

Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Matt Ciulla

Class: 2014

Hometown: Carmel, Ind.

Major: Human and Organizational Development

Instrument: Sousaphone

Member, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia fraternity

The first people many new students see upon their arrival at Vanderbilt are the notoriously enthusiastic Move Crew volunteers. What some may not know is that a significant portion of the Move Crew is made up of members of another Vanderbilt organization commissioned to keep morale high: the Spirit of Gold Marching Band. As Spirit of Gold band president, Matt Ciulla plays a leading role on move-in day in addition to his duties in planning and leading this year’s band camp.

On the value of having the marching band work Move Crew: “It’s a good way to connect with people, and it’s a good way to finish our band camp week.”

On the band’s role in his first move-in day: “It was fun to help other freshmen move in while I was still a freshman.”

On the HOD program: “It not only teaches you leadership but it lets you hone your natural ability to lead others.”

Why he chose Vanderbilt: “Strong academics, close community and Southern hospitality.”

His advice to new students: “Enjoy your experience from the second it starts because it goes quickly.”

More about

More about